:: The Vikings of Bjornstad ::
Life in the Age of the
Vikings, Normans and Anglo Saxons
The Vikings of Bjornstad is a living history and educational group, concentrating on the Viking age - from 793 through 1066 AD. We strive for an authentic presentation of the culture, weapons and crafts from a thousand years ago, including Viking, Norman and Anglo-Saxon re-enactment.
Bjornstad has been filmed twice for History Channel productions and has provided extras, weaponry, clothing and props for several independent film projects. Our
members provided authentic weapon sound effects for
How to Train Your Dragon and historic authenticity consulting for Hammer of the Gods, a British Viking movie
released in 2013. Bjornstad’s members work with educational and Scandinavian heritage groups to provide a balanced view of one of
history’s most fascinating periods and cultures.
Most of our members live in the extended San Francisco Bay Area, currently north to Santa Rosa and Fort Bragg,
east to Stockton and south to San Jose. We attend events and group meetings throughout the year;
see our Calendar of Events
to check out the schedule.
Our Calendar of Events: what we'll be doing next, and where
How to Join Bjornstad. Vikings of all ages, whether by heritage or inclination, are always welcome.
About Bjornstad: who we are, what we've done and where we've been
Bjornstad Home: information and photos of Bjornstad and our gear|
Photos of Bjornstad at our cultural and educational
Viking reference information for researchers, re-enactors, gamers and enthusiasts
Photos of Viking artifacts in museums around the world
Photos of The Vikings of Bjornstad -
Viking movies: the best list on the web, with our comments and recommendations
Links to organizations, people and books you might find interesting
Links to vendors of Viking clothing, weaponry, armor and more
The Companie di Bjornstad: when we really want to get Medieval...
The Vikings of Bjornstad have been involved in a wide range of fascinating - and fun - projects.
- Annually, we present
5 hours of Viking lecture, demonstration and hands-on interaction for Professor Costanza Dopfel and her class on Barbarian cultures at St. Mary's College in Moraga, California
- In September, 2013, we provided a
recommending Viking movies for Norwegian Public Television.
- In December, 2012, we joined Dr. Pete Worden, Director of NASA Ames Research, and his staff
for a photo shoot as part of their campaign to inspire interest in a
new generation of satellite technology.
- In November, 2011, we presented a seminar on the Vikings for the Renaissance Society on the CSU Sacramento campus
- In October, 2010, we presented a seminar on the Vikings' influence on our world as part of the Oakmont Sunday Symposium series
- We join the Lions Club at their annual Special Kids Day event for children with special needs
- In August, 2009, we provided a hobgoblin troop for a student fantasy film, Runewood
- On December 3rd, 2005 we provided a non-historic barbarian horde for an Academy of Art University student film, The Epic of Wayhelm
- In January 2005 we filmed the host segments for an episode of The Conquerors about William the Conqueror, with actor and military advisor Dale Dye, for the History Channel
- In July 2004 we provided the actors for the Battle of Hastings (fought in 1066) segment of Command Decisions, also for the History Channel
- In 2002 we went as a group to see the "Vikings: The North Atlantic Saga" exhibit at the Natural History Museum in Los Angeles
We've set up our Viking Age encampment at:
- The Leif Erikson Viking Fest held by the
Freya Lodge of the Sons of Norway, in Santa Rosa
- The "Sprint the Pier" races hosted by
the North Bay Vikings
(associated with the Bay Area Whaleboat
Rowing Association) in Berkeley
- The Dixon Scottish Games in Dixon
Schools throughout the extended San Francisco Bay Area from Santa Rosa to Santa Cruz
- Tartan Day in Fremont, California
- The Dunsmuir House Scottish Games in Oakland
- The Livermore Scottish Games in Livermore
- The Old Fort MacArthur Days Military Reenactment Show in Los Angeles
- The Calaveras County Celtic Faire in Angels Camp
- The Celtic Nations Festival in Vacaville
And ... at most of our events we perform "The Viking Art of War", a 15 to 20 minute demonstration of Viking age weapons and tactics.
Jack Garrett and The Vikings of Bjornstad maintain this website for your personal interest in
Viking re-enactment, education and research. We do not warrant or represent that the content is completely current, accurate, error proof, nor all of the linked websites to be truthful and reliable at all times. The contents of this website, unless otherwise stated, are exclusively the property of Jack Garrett and are protected under United States and International Copyright laws. The content and images within this website may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of Jack Garrett or the photographers who have granted permission for their photographs to be displayed herein. Use of any image as the basis for another photographic concept or illustration (digital, artist rendering or
the like) is a violation of United States and International Copyright laws. All images and written materials are copyrighted ©
by their respective copyright holders unless otherwise stated. We make no claim to your happiness, contentment or future well being upon reading the information contained within this website, including this paragraph.